While I was away on holiday visiting my family, I had a lot of time to think about my business and about photography in general and in which direction I want my business to grow. By chance I was also reading a lot of articles that people wrote about why it’s important to book a professional photographer for your wedding etc. And then somewhere through my holiday my mother asked the question: How is business? We started talking about how many people book me for weddings vs. family photos. And then I said that I think portraits are more of a luxury for some people and with digital cameras, people just take their own photos. But wait! What!!! Did I just say that?! Sadly yes, that is what I started to believe… This of course led me to think very seriously about what I’m doing and why.
So after more soul searching and lots of praying, the answers started to roll in :) I stumbled across this letter on Face book. It’s about how portraits are more than paper and how precious they really are. And it just hit me! We spend our money on things that will not even last a month, or maybe a year, but we cannot invest in photographs that will last a lifetime? Photographs of our children growing up or precious family photos that someone will treasure once we are no longer here. ‘But I can just take them myself’ you say. Maybe, but your family photos will never be complete when you are holding the camera…
At the end of my holiday my mother-in-law gave me some old family photographs from her side of the family. One of the photos will be 100years old in 2018. I couldn’t believe it when I was holding it in my hands. It was like a piece of history ~ a snapshot of a moment frozen in time. So now I’m 100% convinced that photographs of your family is not a luxury. It’s a treasure. Please take some time to read this letter and then you will understand where I’m coming from.
I would like to end my post with a few points on why I think it’s a good idea to have your photos taken by a professional photographer:
1) Photographers who really love photography will study locations, lighting, sunsets, poses, people, fun things to do on photoshoots, etc etc. All to make you look and feel AWESOME!
2) You are ALL in the photo. Sure you can try putting the camera on a tripod and try to figure out the self timer. And then run back and forth between every photo. By that time you’ve taken 3 or 4 images (all of the same pose) you will be all sweaty and red in the face and your kids might even look grumpy by now because you couldn’t get the pose or the framing right and had to try again and again. At the end it’s just an unpleasant experience and the photos stay on the computer forever. This is leading me to point no 3…
3) Great photographers will take awesome photos with cameras that can take a high quality photo. A photo that you can get printed and hang on the wall with pride. Something to be proud of because you all look so awesome :)
4) It’s an awesome experience. Especially for couples. I think it awesome being in love and having your photo taken. I’ve actually booked a photographer I admire to take some couple photos of me and my husband because we don’t have any taken since our wedding almost 8 years ago. And I cannot wait to get some lovely romantic photos that I can have printed and hang on the walls :)
5) It’s A LOT OF FUN!!! Simple as :)